Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Rooney on song

Rooney on song

What's this? Rooney may actually be world-class? I'll put a question mark instead of a period because of the lack of form he displayed all last year, but it's not hyperbole to state that he is finally displaying the form that burst him on the scene with Everton in 2004. By the way, I cite years without any research, only intuition, so give me a +/-1 spread. He displayed the same sort of grace during his first season with United but has sputtered out off since--enough, in fact, to bring journalists British or otherwise to question the value of a player most emotionally are inclined to support.

I'm not going to shrink from my own criticism of Rooney earlier in the year, as I cautioned how important this year would be for the young bloke. His current form doesn't justify long periods without confidence but it does portend well; I'll hold off on the unequivocal, sensational declarations until he shows consistency, which is an exciting idea for any United fan, and a worth reward for our patience and belief.

No comments: